Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Tale Of Woe

Would you like to see some pink things I made and gathered for a swap? And have absolutely nothing to do with my tale of woe? Okay – so it goes like this.

I’m having surgery today – getting a new knee – yep a total knee replacement.  Going into this with my usual positive attitude and assuming I don’t make it I became obsessed with food safety and my craft stuff.

vintage swap 033

(My favorite pink flowered tin)

I’ve instructed my widowed husband to bring in the  Yaya’s to clear out my craft stuff.  They will know just what to do with all my sheet music, ledgers, buttons, crepe paper, scrapbook papers, bingo cards, seam bindings, ribbons…well you get the drift.  They will know what is valuable as opposed to my children who would just park a dumpster outside my door.

 

vintage swap 037

(Some of the stuff inside the tin)

They will know that old vintage wallpaper is valuable as are little cupcake toppers etc….So with that taken care of I knew if the merry widower was to survive he needed to learn food safety. You cannot keep some things according to the expiration date after you have opened it.  Like chicken broth…it does not stay usable for months.

 

vintage swap 046

(An altered cigar box I sent along)

Oh my gosh – chicken – raw chicken thawed in the fridge will not last for weeks!!!

 

vintage swap 035

 

And even though you wash dishes in the sink the little basket/stopper has to be emptied of the food particles everyday and the sink must be cleaned. Since he does most of the kitchen duty and cooking anyway I usually work behind the scenes because hEllo??? I don’t want to complain and screw that up!!!

 

vintage swap 039

(a teenie tiny button bouquet for the tin)

If the dogs are to survive – he must, must, must keep an eye on their water dish.

vintage swap 040

I guess he’ll have to do my closet and that should benefit three or four people since it’s full of three or four sizes.  Just think – with a new knee assuming I survived maybe I could have become a runner like Dana of The Stone Rabbit! But I digress since we’re talking about the alternative of surviving now is the time I need to thank Dana for dedicating her run last weekend to me!  It was a killer incline called Hospital Hill and she thought of me as she ran her 5K up that hill and Dana, I’m so grateful for that even though I didn’t survive.

vintage swap 041

(inside the cigar box – I even got four cups and saucers in there)

Look how that box is organized…if only my drawers were that orderly. 

vintage swap 042

 

vintage swap 044

(See…I told you – Four!!)

I’m sure I’ll have more things to wrap up…passwords for my blog to notify you guys. Oh my gosh – my Christmas stuff. I’ll have to come up with a plan for that. The hubs can’t understand the reasoning behind all those boxes of old Shiny Brites.  Yaya’s again.

 

By  the time you read this I’ll be at my 10 o’clock appointment with destiny.

vintage swap 036

 

And you dear readers – all three of you – know that I’m in a better place – I’m hoping anyway.

And on the off chance I survive – well…..NEVERMIND!!!! I’m joining Beverly at How Sweet The Sound today for Pink Saturday

Have a wonderful week….xoxo Negative Nancy Smile

7 comments:

  1. OMG...You have me on the floor, rolling around and holding my sides!! I'm choking on the coffee I was about to swallow when I started reading this post!! Little Twiggy Cat just fearfully darted to the basement as I am howling in fits of laughter!!

    I will have to nominate this as one of my ALL TIME Nancy favs!!!!

    HOWEVER....I do hope, should the worst actually happen and the Yayas are called in to perform " Save the Good Stuff Duty " that one of them will SKYPE with me during that time so I can get some of your treasures, too!! :)

    I hear ya about the kids and the hubby and the dumpster and our STUFF! They don't get it!!! I've already told my BFFs that should I croak before my guy to get over here and pull out the stuff they want (aka as "good junque")....and they also know where my little "stash of cash" is (well hidden in my "junque") so they need to get to that fast. I know the hubs will start clearing out my craft room and my storage room before I'm cold in the ground..so they have to act quickly!

    I was HAPPY to dedicate my last run to you, Nancy, and I did think of you as I tore up that hill in front of the hospital!! I need to go add that part to my post, don't I? I will do that as soon as I leave your blog. I told our other surgicaly impaired friend (and she knows who she is!!) that had I known she was going under the knife (such a terrible phrase..I know) I'd have co-dedicated that one to her as well. However, she gets the one I'm doing tomorrow!! :) It starts at the Truman Library. He was one tough Pres. and she's one tough cookie....so I think that will be an appropriate run for her!!

    As I write this, you are about 2 hrs. away from getting your new knee. I know that's not a fun surgery to recoup from, but after you rehab that baby. . .you will be sooo pain free and ready to set some of those goals! While running might be a tough one (although Bonnie told me her orthopedic guy said she could run on her knee replacement....I don't think she has :) I'm sure we could come up with all sorts of fun challenges for you to work on! :)

    Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, Nancy!! And that hubs had better treat you like the queen you are....but he needs to be tough on you and make sure you do all the PT folks want you to do post-op so that new knee can take you to fun auctions and flea markets and ant. malls and WHATEVER you want to do and WHEREVER you want to go!!

    L, Dana

    PS Happy Pink Saturday....and I LOVE that cigar box!!! So danged creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, my crafty friend, you ARE in good hands either way...but, by now, we know your have survived the ordeal and are resting up for your trek on the road to recovery! the swap goodies are beautiful and beautifully packaged. Every crafter reading your post can relate 100%...We Ya-Yas have the right plan and will watch out for all the treasures we have gleaned and gathered over the last few years. Now, drift back off to La La Land and rest up, my groggy crafty friend. Can't wait to admire the new knee! I'm holding out for a full "body-off" restoration like Hubby does on those vintage Cushman scooters...they are as good as new when he finishes so I'll bet he can do the same for me...now who sounds like La La Land?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy!
    It's like getting my swap all over again, seeing it so prettily photographed on your post :). I hope your surgery went well, and you are not in too much pain. My mom had one knee done, and immediately after surgery swore that she wasn't going to do the other because of the pain and discomfort. Well, a few weeks later, she was so happy with the results, she went and had the other one done too. So, take good care & let us all know how you are doing - when you are up to it of course. Hugs!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing these pretty things and your wonderful thoughts. i wish you all success with your surgery and wishes for a speedy and successful recovery! happy pink saturday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Pink Saturday :) Beautiful pinks! ...lots of pretties :)
    Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God you are not DEAD! Really! I am so thankful. So, imagine coming here to leave you a comment - and you are dead. What would be appropriate to say? I am sorry? Not so good,huh? And, how could I know if you read my I am sorry comment? Can you read blog comments in Heaven? That is where you were going, isn't it? Yikes!!! Too many unknowns. Thank God you are alive!

    Happy Pink Saturday, Nancy. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooooo FUNNY! I loved this post! AND, I loved all your loot! You are so talented! I was inspired,too - to make something out of a little cigar box! WAAAAAAY cute - well, everything you had here is super. By the way, I'm glad you didn't die, too. I'll be back to visit you again.

    ReplyDelete